Tote betting is different from traditional betting which is based on bookmaker ‘odds’, as you are betting into a pool. This means all the money staked on each selection in the race is pooled together. After the race, everyone who has backed the winner will receive a share of that pool money in the form of a ‘dividend’ (after Tote operational deductions), according to the size of their original stake.
The greater the number of winning tickets in the pool, the less the dividend will be and similarly, the fewer the number of winning tickets in the pool, the greater the dividend will be. The same principle applies to the variety of different Tote bets offered and unless otherwise stated, all dividends are declared to a £1 (or single currency unit) stake. Tote dividends are based on the ‘standard’ dividend returned from the track as confirmed at www.totepoolliveinfo.com.
How to place a Tote bet:
- Choose the desired race you wish to place a bet.
- Scroll along the race’s toolbar menu and select Totepool.
- Below this you can choose the markets - Win, Place, Exacta, Trifecta, Jackpot, Quadpot or Placepool.
- Choose your selected market, and you will then be able to see the current total pool of the pot.
- Choose your desired selections and then click ‘Add To Betslip’.
- Once you’re happy with your betslip, simply click ‘Place Bet’.
Simply pick the winner of the race, Singles only.
Select a horse to place in a race, £2 minimum bet. Place terms are dictated by the number of runners:
- Up to four runners - no place betting.
- Five to seven runners - place betting for first and second.
- More than eight runners - place betting for first, second and third.
- Handicap race with over 16 runners - place betting for first, second, third and fourth.
Tote Each-Way Bet
A Tote Each-Way bet is a Tote win and a Tote place bet on the same horse.
A Tote Trifecta involves three selections finishing first, second and third in the correct order. A Combination Trifecta is where you choose a minimum of three selections in one event, which must finish first, second and third in any order. This requires multiple stakes which is based on the number of your selections.
Tote Trifecta bets are only available on UK races with three or more races.
How to place a Trifecta bet:
- Select your chosen race, and then scroll the betting options to Totepool.
- On the toolbar, select Trifecta.
- Select the runners you wish to finish first, second and third by clicking the corresponding check boxes. For Combination Trifecta bets, use the ‘Any’ column.
- Select ‘Add To Betslip’, enter your stake on your betslip and then select ‘Place Bet’.
Return dividends are based on the pool which is available once the race result has been declared.
Placepot / Quadpot
In Placepot and Quadpot bets you must correctly select one runner to place in selected races. Placepots involve six races (typically the first six races at a meeting), while Quadpots involve four races (typically the last four races at a meeting).
How to place a Placepot or Quadpot:
- Select your chosen meeting and choose Totepool on the main toolbar.
- On the drop down toolbar choose either Placepot or Quadpot, another menu will appear which allows you to view each leg of the meeting.
- Choose one runner per leg, enter your desired stake and choose ‘Add To Betslip’.
- Once you’re happy with your betslip, select ‘Place Bet’.
A Jackpot bet requires you to select all six winners from the six races chosen by the Tote.
How to place a Jackpot:
- Select the Jackpot option within the Totepool toolbar.
- Select a runner from each of the six leg options, enter your stake and choose ‘Add to Betslip’.
- Once you’re happy with your betslip, select ‘Place Bet’.
In a Totescoop6 you need to select the winners of six specified races to claim a dividend of the win fund. If no one selects six winners, the respective portion of the win fund pool is rolled over to the next Totescoop6.
You can also bet on placed horses in the same Totescoop6 races to claim a dividend from the place fund. If no one is successful, the respective portion of the place fund is rolled over to the next Totescoop6.
If races are abandoned after the Scoop 6 has opened, it will run on the remaining legs with the following conditions:
- If a Scoop 6 is decided on fewer than six legs, the winner is not eligible for the following week’s bonus fund.
- Stakes which would’ve been allocated to the bonus fund are now split between the win and place funds, in the appropriate ratio.
- Stakes brought forward in rollovers from previous Scoop6 bonus funds are excluded.
A Swinger bet is available on all races with six or more runners. Simply select two horses in one bet and you will win if they finish - first and second, second and third, or first and third. Should the race drop to four or five runners, only first and second results will win. If there are only three runners, bets are void.
Tote World Pool Days
World Pool Days
- Cazoo Derby Day - Epsom Downs Racecourse, Saturday 5th June
- Five days of Royal Ascot - Ascot Racecourse, Tuesday 15th to Saturday 19th June
- Coral Eclipse Day - Sandown Park Racecourse, Saturday 3rd July
- QIPCO King George Diamond Day - Ascot Racecourse, Saturday 24th July
- The first three days of the Qatar Goodwood Festival - Goodwood Racecourse, Tuesday 27th July to Thursday 29th July
- Dubai Duty Free Shergar Cup Day - Ascot Racecourse, Saturday 7th August
- The first three days of the Welcome to Yorkshire Ebor Festival - York Racecourse, Wednesday 18th to Friday 20th August
- QIPCO British Champions Day - Ascot Racecourse, Saturday 16th October
Place Terms Differences
World Pool place terms are the same as UK rules with the exception of the following:
- A race with 4 declared runners will pay out 2 places.
- A race with 7 - 20 declared runners will pay out 3 places regardless of whether it is a handicap or not.
- A race with 21 or more declared runners will pay out 4 places regardless of whether it is a handicap or not.
- If a field size drops from 5 or 6 declared runners to 4 actual runners, then 2 Place Dividends will still be paid.
- If a field size drops from 7 or more declared runners to 5 or 6 actual runners, then 3 Place Dividends will still be paid.
- If a field size drops from 7 or more declared runners to 4 actual runners, then the Place pool will be void and all bets will be refunded.
- If a field size drops from 5 or 6 declared runners to 3 actual runners, then the Place pool will be void and all bets will be refunded.
- If a field size drops below 21 declared runners, then 4 Place dividends will still be paid.
Deduction rates for all races during a World Pools meeting will be the same as normal UK meetings, except for the following:
- Win: 17.5% (So the net pool is 82.5% of the gross pool)
- Place: 17.5% (So the net pool is 82.5% of the gross pool)
- Quinella: 17.5% (So the net pool is 82.5% of the gross pool)
- Swinger: 17.5% (So the net pool is 82.5% of the gross pool)
World Pool dividends are rounded to the nearest 5p, except in the case of Trifecta which are rounded to the nearest 10p, based on the official HKD/GBP conversion rate.
World Pool minimum dividends are £1.05, except for the Place which is £1.01 and the Trifecta which is £1.10.
These minimum dividends also apply in the event of a dead heat.
With regards to the World Pool Swinger pools, in the event of a dead heat for third place, bets comprising of those dead heat runners are winners.
In respect of a Win, Place, Quinella, Swinger or Trifecta pools where, as a result of withdrawals either before or during a betting period, there remains insufficient starters as set out below, the pool will be closed and all bets will be refunded.
|Win||less than 2 Starters|
(4 Dividends) less than 6 Starters
(3 Dividends) less than 5 Starters
(2 Dividends) less than 4 Starters
|Quinella||less than 3 Starters|
|Swinger||less than 7 Starters|
|Trifecta||less than 4 Starters|
In the event that pool totals accepted by the UK Tote cannot be merged into World Pools at race off, or World Pools are not in operation, then the UK Tote reserves the right to declare dividends for the affected race based on these pool totals.
Tote will use UK betting rules to calculate these dividends with the exception of:
(i) deduction rates,
(ii) minimum dividends,
(iii) minimum permitted field size for pool to operate (this affects the Swinger only), which will still follow World Pool betting rules;
(iv) dividend rounding method
In such an instance where a Tote Quinella pool cannot be merged into a World Pool, should there be any part-backed or unbacked winning outcome, the balance of the gross pool which has not been won will be donated to the Injured Jockeys Fund (Registered Charity No. 1107395).